Friday, September 14, 2012

New York Fashion Week: Highlights & Trends

Even though my involvement with fashion week includes little more than looking at collections and offering my unsolicited opinions, I love feeling like I'm a tiny part of something special twice a year. Also, I just really like looking at pretty clothes. My taste tends to side with ultra wearable feminine looks, even though that's not always how I dress. While I can certainly appreciate the conceptual and slightly more avant garde collections like Alexander Wang (who showed glow-in-the-dark dresses) and Rodarte, they're never going to be my favorite. I need to be able to picture myself in a look to really like it.

All of my favorite looks, ninety of them to be exact (!), can be found on my Pinterest board here, but of course there are a few things I want to highlight.

Black & White

I love LOVE black and white clothes. It's a neutral combination and can be accessorized in pretty much any way and I am delighted that one of my favorite color duos will be front and center next spring!

Marc Jacobs; Image via Style.com
This is probably my favorite look of any collection that was shown. It's timeless, it's youthful and it can be recreated in such an easy way. You know I bought a houndstooth skirt and a black and white striped top the Tuesday morning after the Marc show! Marc Jacobs' show was my favorite of his in a long, long time. Marc gets a little too gimmicky for me sometimes (Example: giant fur hats for Fall 2012), but this collection was so wearable and fun and the Edie Sedgwick styling was spot on. Marc is such a trend setter that I wouldn't be surprised if Fall 2013 took a mod turn.

My other B&W faves:

Calvin Klein Collection; Image via Style.com
Michael Kors - also so easy to DIY; Image via Style.com
Tibi - the tuxedo pant will also be big for spring; Image via Style.com
Prabal Gurung - You can't go wrong with ostrich feathers; Image via Style.com
Jason Wu; Image via Style.com
Green

My favorite color is green and I love to wear it so it could just be a case of hyper-awareness here, but I saw a lot of green on the spring runways. And why not? Green is the color of growth and that's what spring is all about.

Proenza Shouler; Image via Style.com
I think this look from Proenza Schouler is an absolute show stopper. It's edgy and subtly sexy and I'd love to see it on someone like Jessica Alba or Diane Kruger for a film premiere.

Vera Wang; Image via Style.com
Ditto to this Vera Wang dress. She's most known for her red carpet gowns, but Ms. Wang's ready to wear has been so, so strong for the past few seasons. Elizabeth Banks could rock the bejesus out of this dress.

More green goodness:

Holmes & Yang - Yes, the Holmes is Katie Holmes; Image via Style.com
Michael Kors; Image via Style.com
Sachin + Babi - I love the mix of textures in this look; Image via Style.com
Derek Lam - I think this is a gorgeous plaid and would be great as separates too; Image via Style.com
Red Carpet Glamour

That's pronounced Gla-MOOOOOR. I love me some red carpet action so I'm always on the look out for the next Best Actress Oscar winner's dress. I really hope we get to see some of these during the next awards season!

Marchesa - This. Is. A. DRESS.; Image via Style.com
Rachel Zoe - This has Kate Hudson written all over it; Image via Style.com
Naeem Kahn; Image via Style.com
Badgley Mischka; Image via Style.com
Oscar De La Renta - automatic best dressed; Image via Style.com
Jenny Packham - I think this would look incredible on a redhead (Emma Stone, Julianne Moore); Image via Style.com

And if you're in need of a wedding dress and have a couple hundred grand available, then Zac Posen has you covered:

Image via Style.com
This all makes me tremendously excited for spring, but I will be enjoying fall first. I mean, I haven't even worn a scarf yet. You can see each and every collection at Style.com and stay tuned for much, much more from London, Milan, and Paris.

Do you have a favorite collection or look? And if money were no object, would you have the brass to wear a wedding dress like that? Do tell.

2 comments:

  1. Dare I say how much I like Katie Holmes' line? It's a wee bit embarrassing, but true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be! Jeanne Yang is legit. Not sure how much involvement Katie actually has...

      Delete