Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The 2013 MET Gala: The Good, The Bad, and The Punk

The MET Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is the fashion event of the year. It's always themed and the guest list is A+++. Until last night when a Kardashian was there, but I'm choosing to forget that happened. The theme this year was Punk Fashion and the coordinating exhibit is a retrospective of just that. I think we all knew that not everyone was going to go literal with that theme, but for the most part everyone looked pretty great. I don't remember this kind of OHMYGODITSNOTONTHEME uproar last year when few people wore Schiaparelli pink and/or lobsters all over themselves. (See: Elsa Schiaparelli). That said, I wouldn't be surprised if next year's theme is a bit more tame.

My Favorites:

Image via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images North America
Anne Hathaway In Vintage Valentino

My girl is back, y'all! Anne Hathaway looks drop dead stunning in this gown. It's from 1992 and yet it's still modern and perfect for the theme. And her hair! What could be more punk than dying your hair a color that's completely off your spectrum? I love it and I love Anne. To the left, haters.

Image via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images North America
Kirsten Dunst In Louis Vuitton

It seems like this look is polarizing, but it's a slam dunk for me. I'm a sucker for anything green and/or feathered. It's different and special and I think she look gorgeous. It's not punk in the least, but it's awesome and I don't care.

Image via Larry Busacca/Getty Images North America
Amanda Seyfried In Vintage Givenchy

My first thought is: GIRL, why did you not wear this to the Oscars?! This dress is incredible! It has a train and an open back and the print is otherworldly. I guess I shouldn't complain because it got its moment. Not punk, but again I don't care.

Image via PacificCoastNews.com
Miley Cyrus In Marc Jacobs

I've got to hand it to Miley; she looks fierce in this. Out of the women who dressed totally on theme I think she did it best. The styling is perfect and on just this one occasion I love the hair. Miley is young and fun enough to pull this off.

Image via Newspix/Bauer Griffin
Sienna Miller In Burberry

Sienna is one glamorous punk is this studded jacket and simple white column gown. It's perfect without being too over the top. Some may say that the studded head band is over kill, but I totally dig it. I wonder how much that jacket weighs.

Image via Larry Busacca/Getty Images North America
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley In Gucci

It's no secret that I love everything Frida Giannini designs for Gucci and her Fall 2013 collection was no exception. It's also no secret that I love everything about Rosie H-W so there was no way I wasn't going to love this. I think it's a little punk, right? Just enough for me.

Image via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images North America
Rooney Mara In Givenchy Couture

It's a punk wedding dress and I am all about it. And the purple lipstick is perfection. I'm not always a fan of Rooney's looks because I think they're often from the same family - always colorless, usually cut outs, lots of edginess - but in this instance I don't mind one bit.

I also have to give it up to the Queen Bee, Sarah Jessica Parker who went 110% hard with the theme. She looks fabulous and she's the only one who could have pulled this off. The other Queen (I hope she never finds out I said that), Madonna also went full on with the theme and looked fantastic.

And now the looks I really hated.

Image via Newspix/Bauer Griffin
Heidi Klum In Marchesa

She didn't even try. Heidi Klum, who has the most extravagant costume party every Halloween and wears insane costumes should have had a field day with this. I'm just going to assume she got invited at the last minute and this is all they could scrounge up for her.

Image via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images North America
Ashley Green In Marchesa

Marchesa was 0-2 for me last night. I hate this dress. It makes her look wide, which she is NOT, and the length is terrible. It was shown on the runway as tea length (my favorite) and for them not to alter it to fall the same way on her is a huge mistake. Don't mess with my tea length, folks.

Image via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images North America
Kate Upton In Diane von Furstenberg

This is a great look if you're going to prom or a black tie summer wedding. It's completely inappropriate for this event though. I don't know if she's ready for high fashion or if she ever will be. She doesn't seem to "get" it.

Image via PacificCoastNews.com
Beyoncé Knowles In Givenchy

I love Beyoncé and I think she has amazing style. But this is bad. The dress is hideous and her pose and hair are tired. She could have done so much better!

You can have a look at the full gallery of celebs and looks at Style.com. There were quite a few other looks I liked in addition to those above so I'd love to hear what your bests and worsts were! I already can't wait to hear what next year's theme is. Also, I don't have any immediate plans to go to NYC (sad face), but if that changes I will definitely try to see the exhibit. I still remember the breathtaking McQueen exhibit like I saw it yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. WELL WHY DON'T YOU MAKE PLANS TO COME HERE THEN? I am a fun girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked by how much I loved Anne and Kirsten as they haven't been doing it for me lately. And yeah, LOVE Ashley Green, but that dress? No.

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Hathaway. Which is funny, I guess there are a lot of folks who have a visceral dislike for her? But I think she seems fun and cool and funny and I want to have a glass of wine with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do I! The unfounded hatred people have of her is ridiculous.

      Delete